Become a Five Filaments Specialist in 2023 with in-studio and online options
All the details in one place:
The Five Filaments Specialist professional certification is uniquely grounded in spiral anatomy and biomechanics. The pathway is suitable for movement teachers who are ready to learn how to implement the science of spirality into professional practice.
The Five Filaments Pathway is an online journey with options to work hands-on in the studio with Karen. Take your time growing from Foundations to Specialist, working at your own pace of discovery.
The required reading for this Training is Karen's book, Spiral Bound: Integrated Anatomy for Yoga, which you will need to buy and have around for continuous reference. Don't forget to download your PDF, Reflection & Growth, the Online Companion to Spiral Bound included in your fees for this Training. You'll receive the download link immediately after you register.
Where do I start?
Start with Anatomy Inspired (AI). It might take you 6 weeks or 6 months, but you can feel confident about working entirely at your own pace!
Once you start AI, you'll be invited to join the Facebook Group where we post links to the live Anatomy Inspired Mentorship (AIM) Community Support Q&A sessions taking place on a semi-monthly basis.
When you've finished AI, the next step is to dive into the Fundamentals of Spiral Anatomy mini-course, approximately 8 hours of content that you can work through at your own pace. This mini-course will help you refine and synthesize your understanding of the 5F to get you confident actually speaking the language!
Ready to move?
Feel welcome to access the two asynchronous Movement Modules whenever you're ready:
- Five Filaments Foundations (access this one first)
- Five Filaments Sequencing Intensive (for when you're ready to build on the Foundations)
Please note: You can book any of these sessions separately using the links provided here. However, if you're keen to Specialize in Spiral Motion, the best value (over 40% savings) is found by registering for the Five Filaments Specialist training! Once you register, you'll be automatically enrolled with your discount applied to each of the modules described here.
Once registered, you will receive a Welcome email with Zoom access details for the ten workshops in the 5F Adjustments Practicum starting January 2023.
You can attend these online or in-studio with Karen in Edinburgh, Scotland. These 2-hour practical sessions (ten in total, one per month) are very much physical so be ready to move!
2023 Practicum dates
All 2-4 pm UK time
You can pop these Sundays into your calendar but don't stress if you can't make them all, you will have 1-year access to the recordings.
- 8th January - Hand Filament - Opening Spiral
- 12th February - Hand Filament - Grounding Spiral
- 12th March - Shoulder Filament - Opening Spiral
- 30th April - Shoulder Filament - Grounding Spiral
- 14th May - Foot Filament - Opening Spiral
- 11th June - Foot Filament - Grounding Spiral
- 13th August - Hip Filament - Opening Spiral
- 3rd September - Hip Filament - Grounding Spiral
- 22nd October - Axial Matrix - Flextension
- 19th November - Axial Matrix - Twist
Use your access to the Spiral Motion Masterclass (video library) to explore movement ideas - with 30-second spiral snacks all the way up to full masterclasses at 90 minutes long. You can get stuck into this treasure of twirl from the minute you are registered for the 5FS Training.
Once you have completed all your training modules, you will be invited to access the Completion Module. Submit the completion process assessments to graduate from the 5FS Training and receive your logos and Certificate!
You are now well steeped in the spirality of anatomy and you can speak the language, embody the theory, and cue with verbal and physical proficiency. You will then have the 5FS Professional Qualification badge to add to your training repertoire.
Learn to teach systemic anatomy
You're a movement teacher ready to take a deep dive into spiral motion through systemic anatomy. The Five Filaments Specialist certification program starts with Anatomy Inspired, a systemic approach to anatomy pedagogy that anyone can learn. This course is steeped in spirality, evidence-based science, and constraints-led movement. You'll grow as a teacher and as a professional equipped to lead your own spiral anatomy-infused offering.
2023 Super Early Bird - £999 (normally £1499)Early Bird Registration
Theory and practice, integrated.
Develop a deeply embodied understanding of spirality in anatomy that will elevate your confidence as a teacher. This work will qualify you to teach spiral-based anatomy in your movement community.
The Five Filaments form a fully integrated rubric for both breaking down movement and also bringing it all together into a practical perspective. The 5F Specialist training is a professional qualification applicable to anyone interested in diving deeper into the art and science of movement.
Who is this training for?
The Five Filaments Specialist Training is for yoga & Pilates teachers, personal trainers, and anyone with a previous qualification as a movement professional. The work we do is for you if you are ready to recalibrate everything they taught you about anatomy, develop your intuitive sense of movement, and bring a new level of professionalism to your clients.
This training will best serve you if:
- You are deeply curious about new paradigm anatomy, holistic/wholistic physiology and fascia.
- You have a previous movement or therapy qualification that you're ready to build upon.
- You are a self-initiated lifelong learner passionate about movement as healing.
- You are interested in community, mentorship, and continuing education.
- You are interested in applying the theoretical aspect of spiral anatomy to a system of movement that will augment your current approach.
- You would like a strong anatomical foundation for engaging with women's health issues such as active birth preparation and postpartum support.
- You love to move!
This training is not for you if...
- You are not interested in relearning anatomy from a fascia-focused perspective.
- You are content with the nuts-and-bolts model of classical biomechanics.
- You are attached exclusively to a predefined system of movement.
- You prefer an entirely didactic approach.
This professional online training pathway is uniquely based on spiral anatomy as applied to movement.
Module One: Anatomy Inspired
Module Two: Fundamentals of Spiral Anatomy
Module Three: 5F Foundations Module (6 hours)
Module Five: 5F Sequencing Intensive (6 hours)
Module Four: The Adjustments Practicum Series
Module Six: The Spiral Syllabus Masterclass Library
Module Six: Ongoing Professional Support
Everything you need to evolve in your career as a movement professional.
Invest in the complete Five Filaments Specialist Training (best value), or start with the Foundations Weekend on its own to see if the Spiral Motion pathway is right for you.
Learn about the fractal nature of tissue expressing itself through triangulation.
We will build models to get a feel for how triangulated tissue allows for movement and stability.
We'll explore how nature expresses herself in patterns especially evident in the spirality of tissue.